The 8-Year-Old Girl’s Autopsy Results were Inconclusive following Her Emergency Landing


Officials said on Friday that the preliminary autopsy findings for the little Missouri girl who passed away after becoming unwell while traveling to Chicago with her family were not conclusive.

Eight-year-old Sydney Weston was traveling to the Windy City with her family from Joplin, Missouri when she experienced an unidentified medical event in midair and lost consciousness.

Sydney Weston: What Happened to Her?

Authorities claimed that an 8-year-old Missouri child was declared dead after becoming “ill and unresponsive” aboard a SkyWest aircraft to Chicago on Thursday.

From Joplin, Missouri, the aircraft took off for Chicago before coming down in an emergency landing in Peoria, Illinois.

“Her family immediately informed the flight attendants of her illness, and they started assisting immediately. She was not breathing and had no pulse when she arrived in Peoria, the Peoria County Coroner’s Office stated in a statement.

According to the coroner’s office, Sydney Weston of Carl Junction, Missouri, was recognized as the youngster.

Due to a medical issue, the aircraft landed at the Wayne A. Downing Peoria International Airport at around seven in the morning, the Peoria County Sheriff’s Office announced on Facebook on Thursday.

The youngster was declared dead at a nearby hospital after emergency services, including deputies and the Air National Guard, tried “life-saving measures,” according to the sheriff’s office.

The toddler was on United Express flight 5121 from Joplin to Chicago O’Hare International Airport on Friday, according to a confirmation from SkyWest Airlines. The flight was diverted to Peoria due to a sick passenger.

There, she was “admitted to a medically distressed passenger by paramedics.” We value the efforts of our crew members who came to the aircraft’s help promptly and the medical staff who met it, according to SkyWest.

The girl passed away just after 8 a.m., according to the coroner’s office.

“The coroner’s office stated in a statement on Friday that there was no indication of abuse or neglect, nor was there any proof of foul play.”

However, the preliminary autopsy results were unclear “and pending several studies,” it stated.

Histology, biopsies, cultures, blood chemistry and hematology, and toxicity tests are all awaited by medical staff. It usually takes four to six weeks to see results.

The coroner’s office stated, “Once those tests are finished, we hope to be able to give this little girl’s family some answers and a definitive and exact cause of death.”

On Friday, it was not possible to get in contact with Sydney Weston’s family right away to inquire.

Comment via Facebook

Corrections: If you are aware of an inaccuracy or would like to report a correction, we would like to know about it. Please consider sending an email to [email protected] and cite any sources if available. Thank you. (Policy)

Comments are closed, but trackbacks and pingbacks are open.