San Diego Beach Shocked by Arrival of 52-Foot Stranded Fin Whale


A somber scene unfolded at Pacific Beach in San Diego as a colossal 52-foot fin whale was discovered lifeless on the shore this past Sunday. 

The mammoth creature came to rest near Santa Rita Place, marking a distressing spectacle at the border of Mission Beach and Pacific Beach.

Reports from San Diego highlighted the whale’s tragic state, revealing it was bleeding from its side. 

However, Michael Milstein, a public affairs officer with NOAA (National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration), suggested that the bleeding was likely due to birds pecking at the carcass rather than a substantial injury.

Efforts to return the majestic creature to the sea faced obstacles. Despite lifeguards’ attempts to tow the whale back into the ocean by securing its tail to a small boat, the endeavor proved unsuccessful.

The sighting attracted scores of onlookers, including personnel from the San Diego Fire-Rescue Department, firefighters, lifeguards, and the San Diego Police Department. Some individuals ventured close, even touching the deceased whale, prompting repeated warnings from lifeguards via loudspeakers to maintain a safe distance and allow researchers to conduct their investigations undisturbed.

Whale Removal Urgency in San Diego

A somber scene unfolded at Pacific Beach in San Diego as a colossal 52-foot fin whale was discovered lifeless on the shore this past Sunday.

Later in the day, researchers from the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) arrived at the scene. They worked together with lifeguards, setting up a boundary to aid in conducting a thorough examination.

Photographs were taken, and meticulous data collection efforts began, aiming to unravel the mystery behind the whale’s demise.

Milstein’s preliminary observations didn’t indicate any clear indications of marks from propellers or the usual injuries linked to collisions with vessels.

As researchers work diligently to ascertain the cause of death, cautionary advice has been issued, urging people and pets to steer clear of the area to facilitate the investigation process.

Milstein emphasized the urgency to remove the fin whale, the second-largest species on the 

planet, from the beach. 

Plans are underway to tow the carcass offshore and allow it to sink, as the team continues their quest for answers surrounding this tragic event in the waters off San Diego’s coastline.

Comment via Facebook

Corrections: If you are aware of an inaccuracy or would like to report a correction, we would like to know about it. Please consider sending an email to [email protected] and cite any sources if available. Thank you. (Policy)

Comments are closed.