Miami, FL – The Securities and Exchange Commission’s Miami Regional Office will host a series of virtual investor education events during Oct. 5-11, 2020, as part of the fourth annual World Investor Week, a global campaign promoted by the International Organization of Securities Commissions (IOSCO) to raise awareness about the importance of investor education and protection.
This global effort marks the fourth time that U.S. securities regulators and other IOSCO members on six continents will join together to promote investor education and protection.
“Protecting the interests of Main Street investors is a fundamental principle underlying our efforts to fulfill our mission of protecting investors, maintaining fair and orderly markets, and facilitating capital formation,” said Eric I. Bustillo, Director of the SEC’s Miami Regional Office. “Ensuring that investors and future investors have access to material information so they can make informed investment decisions is a cornerstone of the federal securities laws. Even though we are making presentations virtually this year, we value this opportunity to continue to promote our very important mission.”
The seven day program will include virtual outreach to high school, university, and law students, older adults, and the military. Details of the events are as follows:
Big Tech is censoring our publication severely reducing our traffic and revenue. You can support our mission of truthful reporting by making a contribution. We refuse to let Silicon Valley crush us into becoming just another regurgitated, propaganda driven, echo-chamber of traditional news media and we need your support. You can also help by liking or sharing us on social media or by signing up for our featured story emails.
- Oct. 6, 2020 – Plantation High School, Plantation, Florida
- Oct. 6, 2020 – Florida State University: College of Law presentation to Cuban American Bar Association and Federal Bar Association Student Divisions, Tallahassee, Florida
- Oct. 7, 2020 – University of Miami Business School, Coral Gables, Florida
- Oct. 7, 2020 – Florida International University, Beta Alpha Psi (honorary accounting group) and the Association of Latino Professionals student group (ALPFA), Miami
- Oct. 9, 2020 – Fraud and the Elderly Presentation in conjunction with Broward County Elderly & Veterans Services, Division, Area Agency on Aging of Broward County, and Coast to Coast Legal Aid of South Florida, Inc., Sunrise, Florida
- Oct. 9, 2020 – Florida International University, Honors College, Miami
- Oct. 9, 2020 – Naval Support Activity, NSAPC, Panama City, Florida
- Oct. 15, 2020 – University of Miami, Osher Learning Lifelong Learning Institute, Coral Gables, Florida
For more information about the Miami Regional Office’s outreach events contact Doreen Mosaphir at 305-982-6301 or Miami@sec.gov. For other information about the Miami Regional Office go to: https://www.sec.gov/regional-office/miami
To learn more about investing basics and find additional investment resources visit www.investor.gov