Record Settlement for Death of Man in New York Prison

Karl Taylor (Left) was one of nearly 10,000 people in New York prisons who have been diagnosed with a mental illness. Taylor died of a heart attack. But lawyers for Taylor’s family alleged he had been beaten and strangled by guards in retaliation for striking officers in a fight. Photo courtesy Julia Ramsay-Nobles.

NEW YORK — Attorneys have reached a landmark $5 million settlement in a lawsuit over the 2015 death of a New York state prisoner at the hands of corrections officers.

Prison officials had claimed that 51-year-old Karl Taylor died of a heart attack. But lawyers for Taylor’s family alleged the man, who suffered from mental illness, had been beaten and strangled by guards in retaliation for striking officers in a fight.

The settlement is almost three times the largest amount previously awarded in this type of case in a New York state prison.

According to attorney Adeel Mangi, it also requires the prison to install audio and video recording devices in the prison at an estimated cost of $15 million.


Big Tech is using a content filtering system for online censorship. Watch our short video about NewsGuard to learn how they control the narrative for the Lamestream Media and help keep you in the dark. NewsGuard works with Big-Tech to make it harder for you to find certain content they feel is 'missing context' or stories their editors deem "not in your best interest" - regardless of whether they are true and/or factually accurate. They also work with payment processors and ad-networks to cut off revenue streams to publications they rate poorly by their same bias standards. This should be criminal in America. You can bypass this third-world nonsense by signing up for featured stories by email and get the good stuff delivered right to your inbox.

“So, there will be an objective record of every interaction, and we expect that incidents of abuse against inmates will plummet as a result,” he points out.

A forensic expert testified that Taylor’s death was due to sustained compression of his neck with the thumb and fingers of a right hand, not from blows suffered during a fight.

Mangi says four years of investigation revealed that abuse by corrections officers at the Sullivan Correctional Facility was common.

“There was a pervasive practice at this correctional facility of inmates who had assaulted staff being taken out into the hallway and being subjected to retaliatory beatings, which were called ‘tune-ups,'” Mangi states.

He adds that most victims of such abuse come from poor families without the resources to pursue the intense litigation needed to win a major settlement.

The lawsuit not only sought to hold the corrections officers accountable in Taylor’s death, but also the prison superintendent and his deputy.

Mangi asserts they had created what he calls “a culture of absolute impunity” among the prison staff.

“Until we start holding the people in charge accountable at the very highest levels of the Department of Corrections, nothing will change,” Mangi stresses. “So, this trial was a small step towards making that process start.”

Comment via Facebook

Corrections: If you are aware of an inaccuracy or would like to report a correction, we would like to know about it. Please consider sending an email to and cite any sources if available. Thank you. (Policy)